Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Sunday, April 5, 2009

Ashton went swimming today

Ashton was afraid of water starting from about 18 months, and regardless of how we try to make him go swimming, he would fuss and cry. He was even afraid to walk near the swimming pool.

Last friday when I brought him downstairs for a walk, I decided to try and see if we have a chance to walk near the pool. To my surprise and delight, Ashton was very excited to see people swimming in the pool. We continued to walk to the wading pool where I splashed the water to show him that its fun. Ashton was a little hesitant initially but soon he put his hand to feel the water and imitated my actions. At that moment, I was really really proud of my little boy! It may be nothing to shout about for most kids who love to play with water but for me, its his first step to conquer the water phobia. And being his mummy, I will do anything to help him.

His little action brought me greater confidence to bring him to the pool again. So, we decided to change into our swimming gear and brought him swimming this morning. To aid us, we got a Pooh Bear ball, hopefully this will entice Ashton to go further into the pool.

When we reached the wading pool, Ashton showed signs of fear. He didnt want to try. But we managed to get him to sit on the edge of the pool, together with mummy. Daddy wanted faster progress and wanted to carry him into the pool. But Ashton didnt want to, he struggled and wanted mummy to save him. So, as the more protective parent, I decided that we need to give him time. I trust that my boy can do it if we are willing to be patient.

True enough, he started to walk round the edge of the pool, then sat on the first step, second step, third and finally into the pool. He was so thrilled by the water gun in the middle of the pool that his fear has dissipated. My little boy can go into the pool now, he is no longer afraid! This is a milestone for him and I am glad that he has done it. Well Done, Ashton!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Carol,

    Dun mind I link ur blog to mine? Just found out u have a blog for the kids today via Saphira's blog. :)

    Wow, what a great milestone for Ashton!!! I am still hoping for this day to come, when Xi no longer afraid of water and/or swimming! Wish I stay in condo now so that she will have more chance to get close to a swimming pool. Haha...

    Well done Ashton boy!!! :)

    ReplyDelete